The COVID surge may be over, but deaths continue
In a good news bad news situation which has become so familiar over the course of the pandemic, the Los Angeles County Department of Public reported Wednesday that deaths had reached a new milestone even as the county enters the post surge phase.
With 102 new deaths on Wednesday the cumulative total has now surpassed 30,000 as people infected with COVID-19 during the recent surge continue to succumb to the virus. Sadly, that is also true for residents of Claremont where seven more people have died for a total of 78. Claremont’s cumulative total of cases is 6,006.
Public Health has reported 2,769,372 cumulative cases of COVID-19 across all areas of L.A. County.
“I send my heartfelt condolences to everyone mourning the loss of a loved one due to COVID-19,” Director of Public Health Barbara Ferrer said.
The county reported just 1,835 current hospitalizations, down significantly from the peak several weeks ago. The agency also reported 3,348 new infections, which is also a steep drop from last month.
“With hospitalizations under 2,500 for seven consecutive days, Public Health issued a modified LA County Health Officer Order today recommending, but no longer requiring, masking at outdoor mega events and outdoor spaces at K-12 schools and childcare centers,” public health officials said in a statement.
Masking requirement at indoor establishments will continue until the county has seven consecutive days at or below moderate transmission of less than 49.99 new cases per 100,000 residents, and there are no emerging reports of significantly circulating new variants that threaten vaccine effectiveness.