Police Blotter 8-24-18

Wednesday, August 15

Police arrested a Monrovia woman for possession after finding a meth pipe on her during a routine pedestrian check. Imani Mitchell, 20, was then taken to CPD jail around 10:30 a.m.


Police are looking for a thief who snatched the tip jar from Le Pain Quotidien restaurant. Around 2 p.m., the thief was inside the store when he grabbed the jar and ran, Lt. Jason Walters of the Claremont Police Department said. The tip jar had between $30 and $40 inside. The thief is described as a male, five feet, eight inches tall and 130 pounds.


An unidentified burglar broke into a home on the 900 block of Maryhurst Drive. Between 9:30 a.m. and 2:45 p.m., the burglar entered the home through an unlocked side window, ransacking several rooms before leaving with miscellaneous jewelry. No suspect information was available.

Thursday, August 16

Another car was burgled at the Evey Canyon turnout. The victim parked their car just before noon at the turnout and left the front window slightly down. The burglar then approached the car, forced down the window and took a wallet and $5 from the center console. The suspect remains unidentified.


A fraudster got away with $100 after he tricked a Motel 6 employee. The man walked into the motel around 11 p.m. and asked to exchange five $20 bills for a $100 bill, which the clerk did. The scammer then turned to leave, but returned a short time later claiming the bill the clerk gave him was a fake. The clerk then exchanged the “fake” $100 bill for a real one. In reality, the suspect had the fake bill on him the entire time, and used it to get an additional Benjamin from the motel staffer. He is described as an African-American man in his 40s, around six feet tall and 180 pounds.

Friday, August 17

Another unit at Extra Space Storage was burglarized, with the thief getting away with two pairs of Gucci shoes, among other items. The theft occurred sometime between August 1 and August 17, when the suspect removed the door hinges to the unit and took the pricey shoes, two televisions and an iMac computer. There is no suspect information.

Saturday, August 18

A burglar was arrested after a homeowner reportedly caught him in the act. Police responded to a burglary call on the 800 block of Mary Place at approximately 7:46 p.m. The homeowner called 911 stating there was a man inside her living room, according to Lt. Eric Huizar of the Claremont Police Department. The alleged burglar, 34-year-old Eric Rodriguez of Sun Valley, was found in front of the house next to a black Chevrolet Camaro and detained without incident. Police found that Mr. Rodriguez had allegedly entered through an open garage door. The homeowner was uninjured, and nothing was taken from the home.


A car was broken into on the 200 block of west First Street. Between 10:30 a.m. and 5 p.m., the unknown thief smashed the window to the locked car, taking a leather wallet from the glove compartment, which contained numerous bank and credit cards as well as the victim’s driver’s license. A blue bag containing work items was also taken. One of the cards was used at an undisclosed location in Pomona.


Police were called to College Park around 5 p.m. and found 19-year-old Adam Carter and 32-year-old Jonathan Medrano sitting near one of the baseball fields drinking. Both men were found to be too drunk to remain in public, and were arrested for public intoxication.

Sunday, August 19

An Upland man was arrested after he was found drunk in the Norm’s parking lot. Police arrived to the scene around 4:40 a.m. and found 22-year-old Dillon Winward unresponsive in the back seat of his car. The fire department was called as a precaution, but Mr. Winward only had too much alcohol in his system. He was arrested for public intoxication and taken to CPD jail to sober up.

Monday, August 20

Police are investigating a mass mailbox break-in on the 1900 block of Lockhaven Way. Between 2:15 and 3 p.m., an unknown thief pried open the back access door to a community mailbox, which contained mailboxes of 17 residents. It is currently unknown how many people were affected, but Lt. Walters noted the break-in occurred after the postal worker made the rounds on that street. An investigation is ongoing.

—Matthew Bramlett


Share This