Police blotter 7.19.13

Lakers fan uses window to make escape with jewelry

On the afternoon of Wednesday, July 10, a man returned home in time to watch $4500 worth of jewelry go out the window. He entered through the front door of his home in the 300 block of Armstrong Drive to find a black male wearing a purple Lakers jersey jumping out the bathroom window with a box of stolen goods, according to Detective Robert Ewing. The crook was able to make off with the jewelry courtesy of a getaway driver parked down the street. The thief is believed to be in his 20s, about 6 feet tall and weighing 180 pounds. The car he took off in was described as a 2004-2005 Toyota Corolla. The homeowner admitted to officers the bathroom window had been left unlocked and open. Police remind residents to lock all doors and windows before leaving the house.


Thursday, July 11

A parched man found the remedy to quench his thirst at Vons Thursday afternoon. Twenty-one liters of Jack Daniels apparently did the trick. The man was spotted on surveillance footage carting off $400 worth of the Tennessee whiskey to whet his whistle. He is described as having shoulder-length, wavy blonde hair and was wearing Vans tennis shoes, black pants and a button-down at the time of the incident.


Sunday, July 14

Eric Lawson, 43, of La Verne, didn’t get the late night snack he was looking for in the wee hours of Sunday morning. While at the time it may have seemed like a good idea to bang on the back door of Dominos, located at 366 W. Foothill Blvd., it just got him unnecessary attention and still left him with no pizza. After giving up on his midnight meal, Mr. Lawson took off, but not before police could catch up with him. He was arrested for driving under the influence.


A couple of crooks took it upon themselves to help with the renovation of a rental property in the 100 block of Villanova Drive, entering the home through an unlocked window and attempting to take a few of the appliances—a refrigerator and stove, according to reports. Thankfully, their strength didn’t match their drive. An attempted burglary report was taken.


Bernardo Lopez, 46, of Claremont gave the old saying “hanging from the rafters” new meaning. Police arrived to the Lopez home in the 2300 block of North Mills Avenue around 10:30 p.m. after reports of a possible fight in progress. After some sleuthing, Mr. Lopez was found hiding from police in the rafters of the garage, according to Det. Robert Ewing. Mr. Lopez, wanted for an outstanding warrant, was arrested.


Monday, July 15

Committing a crime in broad daylight was all part of the ruse. A crook was spotted taking a bicycle from the front yard of a home in the 1600 block of Denver Drive, according to Det. Ewing.

The man threw the bike into the back of a waiting red Toyota Tacoma and took off, according to Det. Ewing. Police were able to obtain the truck’s license plate number, and entered it into the city’s Automated License Plate reader program in order to find the truck’s location.  But the plate was mysteriously absent from the system. It didn’t take officers long to figure out why.

The truck hadn’t made it very far. The vehicle was found parked just a block away from the crime scene with the bike still in the truck bed. The men were long gone, however, and so was a resident’s Honda Civic. Officers believe the Civic was taken by the men who left behind the truck, which investigation revealed was stolen from Brea. A police report was taken, but the Civic has not been found. 


The week got off to a rough start for residents of an apartment complex in the 900 block of West Arrow Highway, targeted in 2 costly burglaries within a 24-hour period. Between Monday, July 15 at 6 p.m. and 1 p.m. the following day, 2 cars—both early 2000s Honda Accords—were found missing their catalytic converters. The damage is worth an estimated $4000.


Wednesday, July 17

More than a year later, one man’s wrongdoings are finally catching up with him. Unbeknownst to 31-year-old Daniel Moreno of Upland—wanted for a residential burglary that occurred back in 2011—he left behind an undeniable calling card that finally put him behind bars.

Mr. Moreno claimed he was not involved in the burglary, which took place in October 2011. His DNA claimed otherwise. Blood was found smeared on the door of the Bonnie Brae Avenue home burglarized, and positively identified to be that of Mr. Moreno’s. The blood work had the final word in that case. A  warrant was served and Mr. Moreno finally went to jail.

—Beth Hartnett


Share This