Claremont Courier Logo

Arraignment of murder suspect Calzada delayed a second time

The arraignment of Claremont resident Jeffrey Alexander Calzada, accused of murdering a young woman in Claremont last month, has been delayed a second time. It is now scheduled for November 1 in Department F of Pomona Superior Court.

Calzada is being held in the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Inmate Reception Center in L.A. in lieu of $2 million bail.

Claremont police are not releasing the name of the victim as the case is still under investigation. They did confirm she was 20 years old and did not live in Claremont at the time of her death. Multiple public social media posts have indicated she was a 2020 Claremont High School graduate.

The woman was found suffering a traumatic injury inside a car parked outside Murrieta City Hall at 10:35 a.m. Friday, August. 12.

After a  911 call that morning, “Officers from the Murrieta Police Department and paramedics from Murrieta Fire and Rescue responded and found a female suffering from a traumatic injury in a vehicle in the parking lot of Murrieta City Hall, next to the police station,” according to an August CPD news release.

Paramedics began life saving measures, but she was pronounced dead at the scene. Calzada, 25, was detained at the scene by police and later arrested. Following an investigation that continued through Monday, August 15, he was charged with murder.

Police say the woman sustained her injuries in Claremont.

When Murrieta police responded on August 12, they discovered a body in a white, late model Hyundai Elantra, The Valley Times reported in August.

Claremont police told the COURIER on August 19 that Calzada’s murder charge may be amended as the investigation unfolds and Calzada’s attorney and the L.A. County District Attorney’s Office begin negotiating. The CPD representative said there has been talk of tacking on a stalking charge, but the investigation hasn’t yet determined whether the case “meets the elements of stalking.” Ultimately, it will be the D.A.’s decision, he added.

On Wednesday Claremont police said they will not be releasing any additional information about the case and all media inquiries must go through the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office. The COURIER’s attempts to reach the D.A.’s office for comment were unsuccessful.

0 Comments

Submit a Comment