Claremont Senior Program November offerings
November will be another jam-packed month for seniors in terms of activities, thanks to hard work and dedication by the staff of Claremont’s Senior Program. With a mix of in-person, online and hybrid opportunities, there’s something for nearly everyone.
Food pantry hours update
Effective during month of November, the Inland Valley Hope Partners’ Food Pantry, which utilizes the Annex building space of the Joslyn Center, will be shifting their hours.
“Food Pantry services will no longer be available on Fridays. The new hours of operation will be Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.,” the newsletter email read. For more information on the schedule changes or about Inland Valley Hope Partners, visit https://www.inlandvalleyhopepartners.org/Program-Services/Food-Security-Program.asp.
Men’s depression and grief groups
Every Friday at the Tri City Mental Health Wellness Center, located at 1403 North Garey Avenue in Pomona, a men’s depression support group is held beginning at 1 p.m. The group meets and discusses “how to cope with and overcome depression.” For information on how to join or pre-register, call (888) 593-4448 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
At 10 a.m. next Monday, November 8, and Monday, November 22, the VNA Hospice & Palliative Care of Southern California will be hosting their free, virtual men’s grief support group. The group will help those to “receive bereavement support in a men’s-only setting to help understand and navigate the grief process,” according to the November Clicks email newsletter. For information on how to sign up for this and other groups the organization hosts, email email@example.com or visit www.vnasocal.org/onlinegriefsupport/#register.
LGBTQ+ dementia care partner support group
Next Monday, November 8, members of the LGBTQ+ community tasked with “providing care for their loved ones living with Alzheimer’s or another dementia” are invited to attend a virtual support group, hosted by Alzheimer’s Los Angeles. While the group has a primary focus group, all are invited to join in the Zoom call. For information or to sign up, residents should email Anne Oh at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at (323) 930-6271 to receive the link.
Virtual Vitality series
In collaboration with Inter Valley Health Plan, numerous virtual classes are held each month for the Virtual Vitality series. This month’s class features a range of opportunities, with exciting classes including gardening tips, carb counting and texting tips. To register for these classes or to learn more, visit https://www.ivhp.com/vitality.
• This month’s series begins at noon on Thursday, November 4, with the online class Stay Active Every Day, which will demonstrate that even the smallest of everyday activities can offer worthwhile health benefits. “Increase your stamina and quality of life with simple everyday activities you will enjoy,” the event’s description read.
• On Tuesday, November 9, seniors will learn how to prep a garden for winter plants during Master Gardener: Winter Vegetables and Flowers. The Zoom event is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. and will be led by a master gardener from Riverside.
• Next Thursday, November 11, seniors are invited to learn the differences between the glycemic index and carbohydrate counting — two tools to lower blood sugar and lose weight. A Cal Poly dietician will explain how they work and how to incorporate these methods into daily life.
• On Wednesday, November 17, seniors are invited to learn about one of the most 21st century methods of communication: texting. Beginning at 9 a.m., participants will learn about texting etiquette as well as various phone features and applications that can make texting easier.
• On Thursday, November 18 — to close out November’s online gatherings for seniors — organizers will host a fun and interactive session between 12 and 1 p.m. where stimulating brain games will be played. Attendees are encouraged to have a pencil and paper handy during the brain games and are encouraged to invite a friend to the session.