Home where man was shot Wednesday called a ‘ticking time bomb’

by Steven Felschundneff | steven@claremont-courier.com

The Claremont home where a man was fatally shot Wednesday was a “ticking time bomb,” according to a neighbor who asked to remain anonymous because the situation at the home may still be dangerous.

That neighbor, who lives about a block away said that she heard people yelling frequently at the home.

“I’m frustrated because we had warned the police so many times. We heard the gun shots and [her child] is scared to walk down the street now,” the neighbor said.

Reports from neighbors on social media and a local television station indicated it may have been a dispute between father and son, although Claremont police have not confirmed any identities.

 “I came around the corner and I’m thinking well somebody hit the house and I’m looking for a car, I’m looking, well he’s in the street and he’s covered in blood,” Pat Meyer told CBS News on Wednesday, Mr. Meyer was at his mother’s house when they heard a pounding noise. “Then a gentleman he came out of the house and he was very irate with his son.”

A short news release Claremont Police Lt. Karlan Bennett said at approximately 8:20 a.m. Wednesday, police dispatch received a 9-1-1 call about gun shots being fired at a residence in the 1800 block of Salem Court. When officers arrived, they found a subject lying in the street with at least one gunshot wound to the chest. The subject was transported to Pomona Valley Hospital Medical Center, where he later died as a result of his wounds. 

A 71-year-old male suspect was taken into custody, and a firearm was recovered. An assault with a deadly weapon investigation is ongoing.

The COURIER called Claremont police Friday morning and seeking further details, and are waiting on a return call.

The neighbor said the residents that live where the shooting took place have intimidated and scared her family for years. They first called the police more than five years ago because the shooting victim identified as “Danny” rode around on a homemade motorbike in the middle of the night which was very loud and would wake the family up.

He often had different women with him who would walk around the neighborhood barefoot and appeared intoxicated. They would get into screaming matches in front of the neighbor’s house at all hours of the day and night. Once they saw him chase a woman down the middle of street. Most of the time, he was just riding his bike around the neighborhood peering into people homes. Sometime he would randomly flip the family off or yell profanities.

“We had called the police several times when he would have incidents with women in particular,” she said.


Submit a Comment

Share This