Claremont Our Towns: Latest city news briefs

Chamber looks to build performance stage at Shelton Park

The Community and Human Services Commission’s Parks, Hillsides and Utilities Committee will meet Wednesday, February 20 to review a proposal to build a performance stage at Shelton Park, located at the corner of Harvard and Bonita Avenues. 

The Village Marketing Group is proposing the addition of a stage to the park, and will lead a campaign drive to raise the necessary funds. The open meeting takes place at 6:30 p.m. in the City Council Chamber, 225 W. Second St. View the full agenda at


Parking permits for Wilderness Park now available

Parking permits for the Claremont Hills Wilderness Park are now available at Claremont City Hall and the Hughes Community Center. 

Annual permits are $75, Claremont residents may obtain a maximum of 2 free passes by presenting an id or utility bill. Permits will be required once the expanded north lot opens. City Manager Tony Ramos said the lot is expected to open in early March should weather permit.

City Hall is located at 207 Harvard Ave. The Hughes Center is at 1700 Danbury Rd. For more information, call the city at 399-5460.


City collects some serious hazardous waste

More than 1,035 Claremont households participated in the city’s latest Household Hazard E-Waste Collection, held on February 2.

During the drop-off, approximately 375 gallons of used motor oil and 3,960 gallons of used paint were collected along with 11,700 gallons of miscellaneous e-waste and 95 drums of miscellaneous waste such as pesticides and pool chemicals, according to City Manager Tony Ramos. Eighty-three used car batteries and 139 CRT units were also collected.

Approximately 80 percent of these items will be recycled and reused while the remaining 20 percent will either be incinerated or treated at a local disposal facility.


CUSD: Save the dates

There are a few dates coming up at the Claremont Unified School District that students and their families may want to keep in mind.

Another 3-day weekend is coming up as students will have Monday, February 18 off in commemoration of Washington’s Birthday.

On Sunday, February 24, Sycamore Elementary School will hold its annual pasta dinner and talent show to help raise money for 6th grade Outdoor Science School. Tickets may be purchased the week before the show in the Sycamore office or at the door. For information, contact Damaris Hankins at 398-0324, ext. 63002 or at

The Claremont High School Choir will perform the concert musical “Forever Oz,” featuring music from The Wizard of Oz, The Wiz and Wicked on Friday and Saturday, March 1 and 2, at 7 p.m. Performances will be held at the Garrison Theater, located at 241 E. Tenth St. in Claremont. Admission is $8. Tickets may be purchased at the door or in advance at the high school.

The next regular meeting of the CUSD Board of Education is set for Thursday, February 21 at 6:30 p.m. at the Richard S. Kirkendall Education Center (170 W. San Jose Ave. in Claremont).


Author talk to recount highs and lows of caregiving

The Claremont Senior Program will host the latest in its free Hot Topic Speaker Series this Wednesday, February 20 beginning at 10 a.m. at the Joslyn Senior Center.

Meet Marci Taylor Stewart, author of Flowers & Thorns: A Caregivers Story, as she shares a number of insights gained from 30 years in marriage and family therapy and through taking care of her severely disabled mother. Her reflections include the personal obstacles she overcame, the moments of sentiment she cherishes and a good dose of humor.

All ages are welcome to attend.  Though the event itself is free, pre-registration is required. To register for the workshop or for more information, call 399-5488.


Join Mountainside Master Chorale on eastern Canada tour

To kick off its 20th anniversary season, the Mountainside Master Chorale has planned a tour of eastern Canada for August 2013. The tour will include Montreal, La Malbaie and Quebec City, the home of the chorales’ director Dr. Sebastian Vallee. 

The chorale invites any past or future members who would like to join the tour with the chorale to take part in the June concert period, which will begin in March.

The chorales’ March concert will feature Morten Lauridsen’s Lux Aeterna and Theodore Dubois’ Seven Last Words of Christ. The June concert will also feature works by American composers.

For details of the tour or how to join the chorale, visit www.mountainside or email pymmc@




Submit a Comment

Share This