After 30 years, release of serial rapist Christopher Hubbart imminent

The California Supreme Court will not stop the imminent release of Christopher Evans Hubbart, a former Claremont resident who has admitted to raping more than 40 women.

The Supreme Court Wednesday denied an appeal filed by District Attorney Jackie Lacey on behalf of Los Angeles County to reconsider the conditional release of Mr. Hubbart.

In a statement, Ms. Lacy admitted she had worked every possible angle to block the release of Mr. Hubbart, 62, into Los Angeles County. She says she will now focus her efforts on working with local law enforcement to make sure “all terms and conditions of Hubbart’s release from custody are strictly enforced.”

Mr. Hubbart’s release from Coalinga State Hospital, believed to be sometime this November, is conditional upon 24-hour surveillance with a GPS ankle bracelet, random drug and polygraph tests as well as a strict curfew, according to the release terms.

In May, Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Gilbert T. Brown determined that Mr. Hubbart’s ability to pass a psychological exam meant he “would not be a danger to others due to his diagnosed mental disorder while under the supervision and treatment in the community.” The convicted rapist has failed previous psychological exams.

The news caused uproar across the county, prompting the District Attorney to file a writ with the Sixth District Court of Appeals. The writ, however, was denied in July. Ms. Lacey then turned to the Supreme Court, who has now followed suit with the lower court.

Mr. Hubbart—who has been described by a state official as “uncontrollably compulsive”—has spent the past 30 years in prison and state mental hospitals. He was first arrested in 1972 in connection with a series of rapes in Los Angeles and San Bernardino County. In 1982, Mr. Hubbart returned to confinement, convicted of rape with force, oral copulation with force and 5 counts of burglary.

Roughly 2 weeks after his parole, he returned to Vacaville in 1990 for false imprisonment. His parole was again cut short a few years later when he failed a routine psychological exam. He has remained in prison since 1994, repeatedly failing psychological examinations. But after completing another treatment program last year, Mr. Hubbart was able to pass the test and has asked to be released.

It is unknown where in the county Mr. Hubbart will be released. Claremont officials have filed a letter of opposition against Mr. Hubbart’s release to Claremont.

—Beth Hartnett


Submit a Comment

Share This