Update: man dies in Village of apparent overdose
Claremont police responded at 7:18 p.m. Saturday to the rear patio of a vacant storefront at 221 Yale Ave. regarding an unconscious man. The person who called police said a man at the location appeared to be in full cardiac arrest and had possibly overdosed.
Arriving officers began life saving measures and administered three doses of the opioid overdose revival drug Narcan. In spite of their efforts, 34-year-old Jose Juan Hernandez remained unresponsive with no pulse.
A short time later the Los Angeles County Fire Department arrived and continued life saving measures for 20 minutes, after which Hernandez was pronounced dead at 7:47.
Hernandez was unhoused but has family in Claremont, according to police.