Police blotter 1-9-15

Thursday, January 1

Vandals resolved to ruin New Year’s Day for one Claremont resident who woke up to discover her property pelted with eggs. The unknown suspects flew the coop after throwing eggs at the home and a Kia Sorrento located on the 400 block of St. Augustine. The victim estimated the damage to be $5,000 to repaint the car and replace the bumper, pressure-wash the driveway and repaint the side of the house. By California law, the penalties for vandalism resulting in over $400 in damage may include a jail sentence of between one and three years, and/or a fine of up to $10,000 or even more if the damage is very extensive. Last year, singer Justin Bieber was sentenced to two years probation and $80,900 in fines to pay for damages after he was busted egging the house of one of his neighbors.


Friday, January 2

A Pomona man was arrested for domestic violence after attacking his fiancé in the Village. According to Lieutenant Mike Ciszek, Martin Torres had exited the bus on Indian Hill Boulevard and Bonita Avenue around 9: 15 p.m. when he became upset with the victim and threw her to the ground. An eyewitness saw the man punch the woman twice in the face before calling police. The victim, who lives with the suspect, suffered visible injuries to the left side of her face and left hand. The 46-year-old man was arrested, charged and remains in a Los Angeles County jail.


Saturday, January 3

Claremont police were in the right place at the right time when a drunk driver skidded through an intersection. Officers were stopped at a red light on Foothill Boulevard and Towne Avenue when Michael Lara failed to stop at a red light turn signal and preceded to skid through the intersection at 2:30 a.m. Police pulled the Pomona resident over and determined he had alcohol on his breath. The 28-year-old man submitted to a breathalyzer with results showing he was more than twice the legal limit. He admitted to officers he’d had two pitchers of beer at a Rancho Cucamonga bar. He was arrested for driving under the influence and later released on $5,000 bail.


Sunday, January 4

One Mimosa and this Chino Hills resident clearly was not fit to drive. Around 2:30 p.m., officers pulled over 25-year-old Kristan Shepherd for several traffic violations near Base Line and Silver Tree Roads. After exhibiting signs of drunkenness, the driver submitted to a breathalyzer where officers determined he was more than three times the legal limit. Mr. Shepherd told police he’d had one Mimosa earlier in the day. He was arrested for driving under the influence and released the following day on $5,000 bail.


Monday, January 5

Bring back the “fanny pack!” Evey Canyon hikers beware—vehicles parked at Evey Canyon and Mt. Baldy Road continue to be targeted by thieves looking for an easy mark. At least three cars, including a Hyundai, Honda, and Scion were broken into between 3 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Two of the vehicles had the windows smashed by an unknown object with thieves taking each of the victims’ purses. One purse, containing $500 cash, prescription medication and gift cards, was stolen from the trunk. A second purse, also containing $500 cash, was stolen from the backseat. The third vehicle, a Scion, was left unlocked at a turnout near the location, making it especially easy for creeps to steal the victim’s purse that was left on the driver’s side floorboard. The unknown suspects fled undetected.


The first Monday back to work in the New Year was especially hard for two guys—the guy who got fired, and the guy who fired him. A suspect let his emotions get the best of him after he was called into his boss’ office on Auto Center Drive and was terminated from his job after he reportedly threatened and harassed employees. Around 4:15 p.m., the suspect became irate and starting cursing at the victim before picking up his computer monitor and throwing it against the wall. The suspect left the office, only to be followed by the victim, who the suspect then pushed with both hands, causing the victim to fall back into his office window, door and eventually, to the ground. The boss man suffered minor scraps to his left elbow and forearm from the fall. The suspect is not yet in custody.

—Angela Bailey



Share This