Police blotter 6-2-17

Wednesday, May 24

Police responded to the Pepper Tree Square shopping center around 3:20 a.m. because two people were loitering in the area. They found 57-year-old transient Kendy Van Horn and 27-year-old Claremont resident Samuel Kraemer-Dahlin, who both admitted to being in possession of hypodermic needles, according to Lt. Mike Ciszek of the Claremont Police Department. When Ms. Van Horn was waiting in the back of the squad car, she allegedly tried to hide meth within the cop car’s seats. Both Ms. Van Horn and Mr. Kraemer-Dahlin were arrested and transported to CPD jail.


A woman walked into EZ Cash on the 400 block of Auto Center Drive around 1:18 p.m. and tried to cash a $425 check. When a suspicious employee called the company who administered the check to verify it was discovered the fraudster had no authority to use the checks. The thief then fled the scene, leaving the check and her ID card behind. An investigation is ongoing.


A witness observed a Hispanic man in his late 20s prowling between the north side of their yard and the south side of a neighbor’s yard on the 1700 block of Finecroft Drive just before 6 p.m. When police arrived to investigate, they found a woman’s purse with various hygiene products and clothing inside. The prowler was described as six feet tall, 170 pounds with black hair.

Thursday, May 25

Luke Curley, 25, an employee of the International Montessori School on the 300 block of West San Jose Avenue, allegedly wrote eight employer checks to himself in various amounts totaling around $1,923. When police arrived to detain him, Mr. Curley pulled away from officers and tried to flee. He was ultimately detained and was found to be in possession of three balloons containing meth, plus a glass meth pipe, police said. Mr. Curley, a Covina resident, was arrested for forgery, resisting arrest and possession of a controlled substance. 


A car was burglarized in front of the Back Abbey between 9:20 a.m. and 10:30 a.m., when the burglar entered the locked car through unknown means and took a purse, checkbook and ear phones valued at around $120, Lt. Ciszek said. , The thief later unsuccessfully tried to cash one of the stolen checks at a Wells Fargo branch, police say. An investigation is ongoing.


Between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m., unknown thieves entered a home on the 3800 block of Shelter Grove Drive by removing the screen to the front door of the house, then ransacked numerous rooms before making off with an unknown amount of jewelry. There is no suspect information.

Friday, May 26

Police pulled over a car driven by 36-year-old Joseph Wade of Pomona around 12:45 a.m. for a faulty brake light. Mr. Wade initially gave officers the name of his deceased brother. Officers found two meth pipes in the car and Mr. Wade was arrested for possession of a meth pipe and giving a false name to officers.

Sunday, May 28

A homeless man was arrested on a drunk in public charge after police found him asleep on a sidewalk. Officers found 50-year-old Javier Frias lying on the sidewalk near the intersection of Indian Hill and Foothill Boulevards around 11:40 p.m. He was displaying obvious signs of intoxication and was arrested and transported to jail to sleep it off.


A black Honda Civic driven by an unidentified person crashed into Chase Bank then was later abandoned. Sometime between 6 and 6:30 a.m., the driver of the Honda jumped the curb and collided with the south wall of the bank at the corner of Mountain Avenue and Foothill Boulevard. After damaging the rock veneer at the bank, the car was later found parked and abandoned near the intersection of Colby Circle and Lafayette Road. Police say a first attempt to contact the car’s registered owner through the Fontana Police Department was unsuccessful.

Monday, May 29

Police were called to Dee Lux on the 200 block of Yale Avenue after receiving a call that 57-year-old Jimmy Wrtaza, a registered sex offender, was facing the business with his genitals exposed from a hole in the crotch of his pants. He was still exposing himself when officers arrived, and he was found to be on post-release community supervision from a previous conviction. Mr. Wrtaza was arrested and transported to CPD jail.

—Matthew Bramlett


Share This