Police blotter 7-21-17

Wednesday, July 12

Two safes containing jewelry were burglarized at a home on the 1100 block of Alamosa Drive. Between 1:30 p.m. on July 10 and 8:50 a.m. on July 12, the burglars shattered a rear window to the home and ransacked it, taking the jewelry and fleeing undetected, according to Lt. Mike Ciszek of the Claremont Police Department.


Police are looking for a thief who stole a purse from the waiting room at Kaiser Permanente. Between 9 a.m. and 10:30 a.m., the victim left her purse on a chair at the clinic on 250 West San Jose Avenue, where it was stolen. Inside the $250 purse was a $250 wallet, and $800 iPhone, a $250 pair of sunglasses and $600 in cash.


A Pomona man was arrested after a robbery at Memorial Park turned into a dangerous scuffle. The victim and his girlfriend arrived at the park around 5:50 p.m. to complete an online sale of a purple Supreme jacket worth about $480. The buyer, 19-year-old Brandon Roman, then put on the jacket and tried to flee. The victims pursued Mr. Roman to Yale Avenue, where a fistfight ensued in the middle of the street and Mr. Roman pulled out a knife. A second suspect—described only as an 18-year-old Caucasian man—then punched the male victim several times in the head, and took the jacket from Mr. Roman, fleeing south on Yale in a tan SUV. The victim suffered a cut on the side of his head, a laceration to his left elbow and a possible concussion and was treated at the scene. Mr. Roman was arrested on suspicion of robbery and transported to CPD jail. The second suspect is still at large.

Thursday, July 13

Two juveniles were returned to group homes after leaving them the day before. Police received a call from the pair who were at Griffith Park around 2:05 a.m. The teens, a 17-year-old girl and a 16-year-old boy, said they had run away from David and Margaret and Haynes Family of Programs on July 12. It is unclear why they ran away. Both juveniles were returned to the group homes.

Friday, July 14

Two additional cars were burglarized on the Evey Canyon turnout over the weekend. The first theft occurred on July 14 between 9 and 10:30 a.m., when the unknown thief smashed the front driver’s side window of the victim’s Toyota Camry and stole a wallet containing credit cards, a driver’s license and a medical card.

The second burglary occurred on July 15 between 9:30 a.m. and 12:25 p.m., when the thief smashed the window of a Honda Accord and stole the victim’s $350 purse, which contained a $350 wallet. There are no suspect descriptions. 


Around $13,000 in jewelry and cash was burglarized from a home on the 100 block of Brooks Avenue. Between 8 a.m. and 12:22 p.m., the thieves entered the residence from a south side window, making off with $300 cash and $10,000 in miscellaneous jewelry. A nearby gardener told police he saw someone who was “skinny” and “dirty-looking” near the house, but did not see that person enter or burglarize the home. Police are investigating.

Saturday, July 15

A Chino woman was arrested two days after a bizarre confrontation at a home on the 200 block of West Arrow Highway. Around 6:15 p.m., 32-year-old Danielle Goodman allegedly entered the house armed with a hammer and confronted a man and woman, asking where her ex-boyfriend—the man’s brother—was. Ms. Goodman held the hammer over her head “in a threatening manner,” but the man was able to take the hammer from her. Ms. Goodman left the home, yelling expletives as well as, “The Russian mafia will get you,” Lt. Ciszek said. She was located and arrested on July 17 at 10:20 a.m. at the Claremont Lodge on suspicion of making criminal threats and assault with a deadly weapon. Nobody was injured.

Sunday, July 16

A Claremont motorcyclist was arrested for DUI after traveling at a high rate of speed through town. Officers first picked up on the silver Honda motorcycle on Mountain Avenue, north of Foothill Boulevard, around 3:15 a.m. The motorcyclist, identified as 31-year-old Scott Tweed, was traveling 65 mph in a 40 mph zone. He then turned right on Base Line Road, going 70 mph in a 40 mph zone. He was pulled over in front of Vons, and subsequent tests revealed Mr. Tweed was three times over the legal limit for alcohol intoxication.


An unidentified man is recovering after a bad drug trip led him to cross multiple lanes of the 10 freeway. The man, described by police as a 20-year-old Whittier resident, was in a room at the Knights Inn around 3:15 a.m., when he reportedly ingested psilocybin—also known as magic mushrooms—and jumped from the second-floor balcony. He scrambled through the parking lot, jumped a fence and laid down on the westbound 10 onramp before running south through lanes of traffic. One car swerved to avoid him and ended up crashing into a wall. The driver was not injured. A missing persons report was filed, but the man was found at 7:15 a.m. passed out in a ditch along the south end of the freeway. He was not arrested, and sustained “minor to moderate” injuries, according to police.

—Matthew Bramlett



Share This