Claremont PD warns catalytic converter theft on the rise
Preventing Catalytic Converter Thefts
The Claremont Police department released the following warning on Thursday, January 21:
The Claremont Police Department has recently noticed a rise in the theft of catalytic converters from vehicle exhaust systems. In particular, thieves are targeting Toyotas.
The appeal of the catalytic converters is due to the metal value. Catalytic converters contain platinum, rhodium and palladium – these metals are expensive and thieves sell the converters to scrap yards. CPD is reminding drivers to stay vigilant because it only takes a few minutes to have someone go underneath your vehicle and remove it.
• The following tips are just a few ways to help prevent these types of crimes from happening and keep your vehicle safe:
• If possible, park your vehicles inside your garage, door closed and locked, when not in use.
• If you have the budget for it, video surveillance around your garage or driveway is also useful, along with motion sensor activated lights or floodlights.
• If parking on the street, park in well-lit areas.
• Park close to a building entrance or nearest access road when parking in a public lot – this is due to the increased amount of pedestrian traffic in those areas.
• Never leave valuables in your vehicle, especially if they can be seen from the outside of the vehicle.
• If possible, engrave your vehicle’s VIN number to the catalytic converter to make it easier to identify in the case that it does get stolen.
• If you suspect that you are a victim of catalytic converter theft, call your Claremont Police Department at 909-399-5411.
The City of Claremont Police Department
570 W. Bonita Ave.
Claremont, CA 91711